Husbands and Wives



Walking into an exam room with a husband and wife is always interesting. There are a few things that can happen. The husband and wife will either argue about the history the patient is trying to give. Or, the wife will give all the history on her husband’s problem. Or, he or she will make faces to clue the examiner on the “real issue” that is at hand.
             In family medicine, I had many couples that would be in the room together. After a while, I soon learned if a husband or wife or girlfriend and boyfriend would voice their opinion, I would ask the patient “Is this true Mr/Mrs/Miss  _________?” Or, I would ask whomever the patient was to tell me their side of the story.
            As a medical practitioner, it is our duty to figure out the puzzle pieces of a history.  If both husband and wife were patients for the day, I would ask that they be placed in separate rooms. This made it much easier as a practitioner to complete a history and physical in an acceptable amount of time. It is also our job to listen to the patient and the patient only. They know their bodies the best and they can explain their history the best because they physically can feel their problems. Just listening to a history can lead you to the correct diagnosis.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Do You Think This Blog Can Improve?

Followers

About Me

About Me
My name is Ashleigh and I am 27 years old starting the next chapter of my life. I attended PA school to become a physician assistant and graduated in December 2012. I am a daughter, a sister, a dancer, and compassionate about medicine and people. I love helping others and I can't wait to start this journey.

About this Blog

If you are just curious about a Physician Assistant (PA), or looking to be a PA, then you were just like me in the past.

I always knew I wanted to be in the medical profession, but I didn't know exactly where I wanted to go with it. Did I want to be a doctor? Not really, I knew 8 more years of school was not for me.

I will be creating a blog for the every day life of a physician assistant. From studying, to stressing, to sleeping, to crying, to helping patients, to rotations, to every day life, and how I got there and through it.

I really look forward to this and can't wait to see what happens.


Recent Comments