"Did You Pass?"

Hello Everyone, I know it has been forever since I have written, so I guess I should fill you in on some things. :) I took my PANCE Jan 10th and found out a week later that I passed. It was a huge weight that was lifted off my shoulders. I had interviewed for a job on Jan 4th and felt like I nailed my interview. However, the acceptance of that job was of course riding on my board scores. So was the PANCE hard? You betcha. I walked out of that exam feeling defeated and worried and not knowing how I did at all. I am a "poor" test taker in general. I tend to second guess my answers and not go with my gut. There were answers I knew right off the bat, and there were things they would ask and I would have no earthly clue! Endocrinology was my worst subject in school, and it was my worst on the PANCE, so at least that reflected. I don't want to say much about the PANCE but to each their own. So I got my job, I work in surgery. To be more specific, I work in ortho, robotics, gyn, and general surgery. I cover about 15 hospitals and work with about 50 different surgeons. It is a pretty cool job. It has its ups and downs with any job. Somedays are longer than others..just depends on my case load. I can have anywhere from 1-8 surgeries in a day...just depends on the speciality. I have been working in this job for 6 months now and feel like I have learned so much and will continue to learn. Surgery is definitely a beast within itself. Not only do you not learn certain surgical skills in PA school, you lack knowing the steps to a surgery in PA school as well. I have learned multiple techniques to the same surgery, because every surgeon is different. I have learned sterile technique, draping techniques, instruments and their names and what they do, I have learned how to prepare an ACL graft from a cadaver or from the patient, I have learned robotics (also a beast in itself), I have learned how to be a good first assist, and to think outside the box and the list goes on.. So, since I dont update this blog as much as I would like, please feel free to ask me any questions. I will be happy to answer them! Blessings, A

posted under |

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Ashleigh! There was never any doubt that you would pass the PANCE! I have appreciated your blog and thoughtful as well as inspiring entries. It has been a joy to follow your success and a sacrifice of your time in which to do it. So, I thank you. It is this same giving attitude that I know that share with your patients and those you work with. You are blessed. May God continue to bless and guide you always. Thank you always. ~Morgan G.

Post a Comment

Older Post Home

Do You Think This Blog Can Improve?

Followers

About Me

About Me
My name is Ashleigh and I am 27 years old starting the next chapter of my life. I attended PA school to become a physician assistant and graduated in December 2012. I am a daughter, a sister, a dancer, and compassionate about medicine and people. I love helping others and I can't wait to start this journey.

About this Blog

If you are just curious about a Physician Assistant (PA), or looking to be a PA, then you were just like me in the past.

I always knew I wanted to be in the medical profession, but I didn't know exactly where I wanted to go with it. Did I want to be a doctor? Not really, I knew 8 more years of school was not for me.

I will be creating a blog for the every day life of a physician assistant. From studying, to stressing, to sleeping, to crying, to helping patients, to rotations, to every day life, and how I got there and through it.

I really look forward to this and can't wait to see what happens.


Recent Comments