Dominican Republic
In November of 2008, I was fortunate enough to go to the Dominican Republic over Thanksgiving Break to give to those in need. Let me just say that those kids touched my life in more ways than one.
It's truly amazing how much we take for granted. Education, shelter, clothes, 3 meals a day, jobs, etc.
The impact of driving to Barahona shocked me. People sit outside their homes and talk in the moonlight since electricity is minimal. Often, they would be sitting around a candle.
As the group and I took this four hour bus ride to Barahona, I looked up at the sky and saw beautiful stars. It looked like someone had taken a salt shaker and sprinkled the sky with these stars because they were everywhere. At that moment, I thanked God for my family and the people I was sharing the trip with. (Click on pictures below to make larger).
The village of Algodon
A house in Algodon
Algodon was the worst of the villages pictured above. One of the girls, Joanne, who was 18 would come to our casa everyday. She would cook for us and talk to us about her village--Alogodon. I was fortunate to get to know her more when I became ill on Thanksgiving day. Even though I didn't speak Spanish well, and she didn't speak English well, We would find other ways to communicate such as pointing and trying to figure out the translation. We would still just laugh at ourselves. It's amazing how much you can learn about a person in a few hours. She lived with a big family with many brothers and sisters like in a house pictured above. She had lively spirits and kept me laughing when I was feeling awful. This picture was taken the night I was feeling pretty sick..
Joanna and me
One moment I will never forget is driving up to Los Robles and meeting my host family for the first time.
Los Robles
The family that I met had 5 children. The father worked in the fields planting plantains while the mother was rarely home. She was a maid in Santo Domingo (4 hours away) and would come home once a month or every two weeks. The oldest child was 10 and the youngest child was 5. The 10 year old did all the cooking and cleaning for the family. What a huge responsibility to take on at such a young age. I was able to witness this process the second day I was there. He would start a fire, and place the little food they had in the pot to cook.
Their kitchen
The 5 year old and I became close. Her name was Violet and she was very shy and quiet. She only told me her name the first day I met her. However, she would never let go of my hand. She had the most beautiful smile and loved looking at herself in the camera. If any other child tried to come up and grab my hand she would fight them off and claim "Mi Americana" --My American!
My violet holding my hand :)
When we had to leave I felt horrible for not being able to drop her off at her house. I had to leave her at the school and I had actually asked the translators if I could take her back to her house. To my surprise they said no. I said what do you mean? She's only five? They said the children find their way back home easily. Even 2 year olds are left to find their way back home. I felt like I was leaving my own child and prayed that she would make it back safely.
The next day we went to visit Los Robles Violet was not in the house when we arrived. I figured she was off playing with some friends. The little 10 year old boy was actually cooking for the family which was hard to watch. Some people helped him so he could play with the children later on instead of cooking. As we were watching, I looked down the hill and saw Violet running towards the house. I spotted her before she saw me-- but when she saw me..she had a HUGE smile on her face. It was a moment I will never forget. She started running up the hill in her bare feet but I told her to go around since I didn't want her to get cut from all the glass that was scattered across the hill.
The cutest thing.
Walking with Violet and her friend through Los Robles.
The hardest moment I had to face was leaving violet for the second day. I knew I wouldnt see her again. As I knelt down beside her to say goodbye and explain to her that I wouldnt see her again, tears rolled down my cheeks. Since she was 5, I didn't think she would understand. Of course more people would come through the village later on that week or month, but I hated leaving her.
My hopes for this trip was that I made an impact on someones life there in Barahona--the people there made an impact on me each day. I will close with a song (and pictures) that has touched my heart for years now. I first heard it when I was in 8th grade...but I think the message speaks for itself.
A world full of church members watch as the hours go by
Sands of time have gotten in their eyes
Blinded to the cries of a hurting world
They cannot see the pain in their lives
Keeping the truth all to themselves
Content as they can be
Theres a famine in the land
We've got a pocket full of seeds
Theres a famine in the land
Got a pocket full of seeds
Could you give the bread of life?
And the hope that Jesus brings
Living water flows through your heart
Could you quinch the thirst of a friend in need?
Theres a famine in the land you've got a pocket full of seeds.
Jesus said my "house is full, but my field is empty"
Where have we all been at work in town?
We've been sitting around the table
Feasting in the house of plenty
While the hungry world looks in from the outside
Keeping the truth all to themselves
Content as they can be
Theres a famine in the land
We've got a pocket full of seeds
Could you give the bread of life?
And the hope that Jesus brings
Living water flows through your heart
Could you quinch the thirst of a friend in need?
Theres a famine in the land you've got a pocket full of seeds.
Barahona

Saying goodbye

0 comments:
Post a Comment