Gowning and Gloving


Last Thursday, we finally had the gowning and gloving lab. I was excited to do this because I felt comfortable with doing this. I have never gowned and gloved myself, so I was fortunate enough to learn this.

We walk in and a see a sea of blue across the room.. mimicking an OR. A PA-C that graduated from the program a few years ago. She was previously a surgical tech for 11 years. First we put on masks, booties, and, caps. My father always taught me, put the metal strip across your nose first, and then pinch down, then tie it. This way, its not sliding down your nose as you are trying to tie the first tie around your head. Second, tie the last tie around your neck loosely. You will get hot in all the gowning.

Now, we learn how to scrub. A good scrub should be a total of 3 minutes. You are to treat your hands like quadrants. Each finger has 4 sides that you should scrub for 10 seconds on each side. You always start with your fingernails first, then hands, then forearms, up to your elbows. As you wash, you want your hands to be the cleanest, so you let the water drip down to your elbows. You will dry with a towel from your hand first to your elbow. You will then flip the towel and dry the other hand.

Next is your gown, whomever invented the way to folds these gowns, is a genius! There are these little pockets you stick your hands in, and the gown just unfolds the way its supposed to. It is pretty awesome. Just make sure you don't stick your hands all the way through the sleeves! You gotta get your gloves on first. Getting the gloves on was the most tricky part for me, however, I did take some gloves home to practice. ;) I would type the way to put these on, but it's kind of detailed. Either way, I am really excited for my surgery rotation...which reminds me, I got my first three rotations! I will write that in another post!!

Enjoy the pictures of yours truly :) (Click the thumbnails to enlarge).


Scrub a Dub


Drying my hands off


Getting those gloves on!


Standing the proper way


Being gowned by the PA-C to show the other students

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Do You Think This Blog Can Improve?

Followers

About Me

About Me
My name is Ashleigh and I am 27 years old starting the next chapter of my life. I attended PA school to become a physician assistant and graduated in December 2012. I am a daughter, a sister, a dancer, and compassionate about medicine and people. I love helping others and I can't wait to start this journey.

About this Blog

If you are just curious about a Physician Assistant (PA), or looking to be a PA, then you were just like me in the past.

I always knew I wanted to be in the medical profession, but I didn't know exactly where I wanted to go with it. Did I want to be a doctor? Not really, I knew 8 more years of school was not for me.

I will be creating a blog for the every day life of a physician assistant. From studying, to stressing, to sleeping, to crying, to helping patients, to rotations, to every day life, and how I got there and through it.

I really look forward to this and can't wait to see what happens.


Recent Comments