Decisions Decisions

I received my supply list a couple weeks ago in the mail. We will most likely be spending around $700-$1,000 in supplies. I'm sure some of you are wondering what exactly does a PA student need for school (I will include the list at the bottom if you're interested) ??

We also received a letter about computers. I think I will be running a poll on my blog about which computer you guys have/think would be best-make sure you vote! The school recommends a dell and they also have a contract with dell--aka we get a discount! That is nice, but I called and ran a price check on the certain specs they want us to have and the computer ran at about $1300.

If I chose to go with apple, which I have never been a mac user, I could run into compatibility issues, and a more expensive computer.

I know the students both have macs and dells in the classroom but I really need decide which one will be better. Any thoughts? Feel free to leave comments. :)

Supplies:
We recommend you purchase the following materials prior to your arrival:
• Taylor Reflex Hammer and/or Buck Neurological
• Pen Light
• Retractable Tape Measure
• EKG Calipers
• Safety Pins
• Cotton Balls or Q-tips
• Alcohol Prep Pads
• Mints or Breath Strips
• Hand Sanitizer
• Case/bag for your medical supplies
We recommend you speak with your student advisor further about the following supplies:
• Stethoscope
• Adult Sphygmomanometer (Blood Pressure Cuff)
• Ophthalmoscope/Otoscope
• Tuning Fork (128Hz & 512Hz)
• Pocket Eye Chart
Other items the school recommends that may be nice to have:
• Protective Eyewear
• Utility Shears
• Tourniquet
• Latex Gloves
• Tongue Blades
• Medical Tape

posted under , |

5 comments:

tom (thinkertdm) said...

Try steeles.com for the supplies. They have a student package, or you can buy them separately. Also check out ebay for some of the stuff- I found some nice eye charts there for 2-3$. I was able to find some of my stuff at work that was sitting in a drawer. Be sure to ask first!

Also, my personal preference (as you might have noticed from the forums) is a mac. I've been using pc's for a long time, and just plain got sick of them!
Anyways, at my program (AMC) they suggested we get some awful thinkpads, but I went with a macbook pro, with office for mac 2008.
I'm not sure how Barry is, but at AMC, I have had zero compatibility problems. Our lectures are mostly in powerpoint, and some .doc files. Both can be opened with office for mac or iwork.
We also use an internet site (sakai) which works fine.
Check with the program and 2011 students to see what they use and if they've had any problems.
PS using the mac has a learning curve (slight for me, but I'm a computer geek), but it is the most wonderful computer experience I've ever had, and I've been all over computers for a long time. Everything just works.

Josh V said...

Get the cheapest everything except a stethoscope. You'll never use any of it again other than that! I actually bought my Ophthalmoscope/Otoscope off eBay--it was the "pocket" variety and also took AA batteries, which was very nice.

Laptop-wise, you need a laptop. That's it. You will only be using it for powerpoints and maybe to take tests on, so you can get any old $500 one at the store. I would recommend getting a new one so you have a warranty, etc,


-Josh, 2009 Barry grad



PS: I bolded the things you'll actually need. You need none of the "recommended" items.


Taylor Reflex Hammer and/or Buck Neurological
Pen Light
• Retractable Tape Measure
• EKG Calipers
• Safety Pins
• Cotton Balls or Q-tips
• Alcohol Prep Pads
• Mints or Breath Strips
• Hand Sanitizer
• Case/bag for your medical supplies
We recommend you speak with your student advisor further about the following supplies:
Stethoscope
• Adult Sphygmomanometer (Blood Pressure Cuff)
• Ophthalmoscope/Otoscope
• Tuning Fork (128Hz & 512Hz)
• Pocket Eye Chart

JournalOfaPA said...

Thank you Tom and Josh it is always nice to hear some advice! Josh esp you being a Barry grad :)

I am def going to get a great steth. I had a dream the other night I had an orange one and I was NOT happy about the color haha. I am looking into the Littman Cardiology III (first choice) and Littman II S.E. What do you think?

Josh where are you working now?

Joe said...

For laptops, definitely whatever is cheapest. The laptop isn't going to be your lifeline in school. Like Josh said, its just going to be used for powerpoints and typing papers and such.

Jaunice Scopelliti said...

I would add this...Get a bag for your supplies---mine actually ended up being a purse from Charlotte Rousse that was on clearance but works great to hold everything :) Also there is something called a Queen Ann reflex hammer...never heard of one until Physical Diagnosis Neuro lab-but it seemed like you could elicit a reflex much easier-probably not necessary but a cool addition if you want to be fancy-I am going to get one to keep in my bag of tricks and none of those reflex hammers are expensive. Get the Rosenbaum eye chart (its the pocket one). Also my imput on the instruments is to go with Welch Allen on ebay. This was my mentors advice and I am so glad I did! You will have Welch Allen reps come in that you can buy from but ebay will save you a bunch of money and their stuff has a lifetime guarantee...even the cheap stuff is going to leave you 1 or 200 in the hole-why not spend a little more and have the assurance you wont have to spend 1 or 200 more when the chincy stuff breaks on you...I wanted to pay the extra for the security. I have a Littman II I think-great stethoscope. If you can spring for the III-why not but certainly not necessary. I would say Littman though no matter what. You want a good stethoscope if nothing else. I have a MacBook Pro laptop-love it but this was my first laptop so nothing to compare to-that and I got a great deal on it. If I couldnt have, I would probably just stick with something a little cheaper like an HP or Sony or go with the regular MacBook. You can always get fancier once you are out making the big bucks someday...just whatever you do-get a backup system! I actually subscribe to an online one-Carbonite (carbonite.com)...I think i paid $70 for the whole time I was going to be in PA school. It backs up my computer frequently so that I can access it from another computer AND can reload everything if mine crashes-might be a nice alternative to spring for the backup system rather than the more expensive/newer computer. There's my $0.02

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Do You Think This Blog Can Improve?

Followers

About Me

About Me
My name is Ashleigh and I am 27 years old starting the next chapter of my life. I attended PA school to become a physician assistant and graduated in December 2012. I am a daughter, a sister, a dancer, and compassionate about medicine and people. I love helping others and I can't wait to start this journey.

About this Blog

If you are just curious about a Physician Assistant (PA), or looking to be a PA, then you were just like me in the past.

I always knew I wanted to be in the medical profession, but I didn't know exactly where I wanted to go with it. Did I want to be a doctor? Not really, I knew 8 more years of school was not for me.

I will be creating a blog for the every day life of a physician assistant. From studying, to stressing, to sleeping, to crying, to helping patients, to rotations, to every day life, and how I got there and through it.

I really look forward to this and can't wait to see what happens.


Recent Comments