Interview with my school
This was it, my last interview. I had already done 3 previous interviews. Two in NY and one at Nova Jacksonville. My goal was to stay in Florida, because after all, I call Florida home. For privacy purposes, I am keeping my school name private.
Rewind to November 2009: The acceptance to Touro came at a difficult time in my life. I had already put my $1500 deposit down, but something didn't feel right. Everyone around me was excited, but I was not. Don't get me wrong, I was more than thrilled of being accepted into school, but I don't know if my heart was prepared to move to NY. I had the choice of going in January 2010 to the school in Long island, or waiting until August to start the school in Manhattan. I made the decision initially to go in January, plus the school months were shorter at that campus. I started looking for apartments, cost of moving, etc, still something didn't feel right. (Remember, I had only been accepted to these two schools and was still waiting to hear from Nova). Then, November 10th, I decided to defer my acceptance. Touro rejected my deferment but said they could transfer my deposit to the other campus and I could start in August at Manhattan. Great I thought..and this put me a little more at ease.
November 11th, I received my interview invite from my current school. I was beyond thrilled and knew my deferment was the right thing. I set my interview up for January 29th, 2010.
January 29th: Same blue skirt suit I had fallen in love with in the Dillard's dressing room, same pearls, and hair slicked back in a pony tail. I had prayed that God would guide me through this because this is where I wanted to be. I knew if it was in His plan, He would keep me here.
I got to the school early and I was sick from being nervous. I drove to the nearest dunkin' donuts to calm myself down. When I arrived, everyone was already there crammed in a small conference room with water. "Was I late," I thought? I was on time according to the clock on the wall.
There were 11 of us that day interviewing...what were the odds I thought? Only 24 accepted and 11 interviewing today.
We were all moved into a conference room and I quickly sized up my competition. We were all in this together and we were all going to be here for at least 4-5 hours. The ADCOM explained we would be split up in groups. Group 1 would go into single interviews, group interviews, and then we were to switch with Group 2. After that, we would go on a tour of the facility, sit in a classroom, have lunch with the current students, then have a financial aid meeting.
The ADCOM called out the students into groups..and she couldn't decide if I should be in Group 1 or Group 2. The paper said Group 2 but she said I really belonged to Group 1. She said "I know you're interviewing first Ashleigh with _______ (I will need to leave this blank due to privacy, I will name this person AJ) Yikes!"
"Did I just hear her say Yikes," I thought? That only raised my nervousness by 10 notches.
It was time, and I was first to single interview with AJ. AJ make me nervous..Yes. Was AJ intimidating..yes. Did I feel confident in my answers..Yes. AJ didn't seem to like my personal essay what-so-ever. AJ also asked me to relax and I said "Ok" with a smile on my face and didn't move a muscle. AJ said it again, and literally sat back in the chair..so I did the same.
AJ: "Did you write this paragraph?"
Me: "Which paragraph AJ?" (after all there is a lot of paragraphs on my application).
AJ: (Reads the particular paragraph)
Me: "Yes, I wrote my whole essay."
AJ: "Have you ever taken an English class?"
Me: "Yes, I did a lot of writing in undergrad."
AJ: "Well why don't you want to be a doctor?"
Me: I said, "that's a tricky question AJ, because essentially I have to say why I don't want your job since you are a physician."
AJ: He laughed, "I guess you are right."
Me: I give AJ my answer
We go on for about 15 minutes. AJ doesn't really ask me many questions. AJ said every question they really wanted to know was either in my application or written in my letter of recommendations. I figured that was a good thing. :)
I wait for the rest of my group to finish, and get the chance to talk to the other applicants as we wait to do group interview. We switch rooms and do group interview. Just some advice for pre-PAs out there, if you are doing a group interview, do not answer the same question with the same answer as everyone else. Make yourself stand out...
Campus tour was great and I really liked the atmosphere of the campus and the ADCOMS and students. The campus is small, so I don't have to trek across the campus. The school is all in one building. What I really love about the school is everyone in the building is there for science or medicine. How cool is that? The library is all based on science and anatomy etc. There is even a clinic downstairs that public or students can use or that we will get to practice in one day. We even got to go into the cadaver lab which was the first time I saw a cadaver... It wasn't really what I expected.
Lunch was great because we got to ask questions with the current students. I talked a lot with the current president of the 2011 class. At the end of the summer, we will be assigned with someone and they will be mentoring us and giving us advice. I can't wait to see who I get. :)
February 3rd, 2010 I found out I was accepted. I was so so so excited. I was literally running around the current office I work at trying to find someone to tell! It was 7am and no one was here. I called my mom too!!
1600 people applied and only 24 accepted. It just so happens, 6 of us were accepted out of the group I was with.
I couldn't be happier with my school!!
3 comments:
I've been surprised at how many people don't work with cadavers in undergrad. My undergrad school had a cadaver course as a requirement for nursing and health science majors. Cadavers aren't nearly as bad as people expect them to be.
Oh Dr. Cleveland: "Keep it simple Ashleigh."
Ooh I am a little famous here in this post! Thanks for the props :)
Post a Comment