My first venipuncture

Sometimes people question if they are taking the right path to the career that they have chosen. On May 14th, I did my first venipuncture. For my readers out there who may not know what that is, it's drawing blood from a patients vein. I know this may seem like a little task that is done everyday to all sorts of people. However, for me it was a big step! Not only do you want to make sure your patient is comfortable, but you also want to make sure you get the vein on the first time so you don't have to stick them again.
I was fortunate enough to have an MA here at work volunteer herself. She was so patient with me and walked me through everything. I used a butterfly needle much like the one above.
I was nervous and held the needle close to her vein while the tourniquet was on her arm. I kept repeating "I don't want to hurt you." Finally, I got the nerve to just do it. I counted down "3, 2,1" and in slid the needle in her vein.
Once it was in and I saw the blood go in the tube, I got a little too excited and let go of the needle to say "yay." She quickly corrected me by saying, "keep ahold of the needle because you don't want it to slide out."
You would think I won the lottery because of how excited I was!!! I can't wait to be a practicing PA. WOowhoo! Who knew sticking a needle in someone could be so joyful. ;)
2 comments:
Tips for venipuncture:
1. Remember you will not hurt yourself
2. Doing it properly and swiftly won't really hurt the patient
3. Make sure your fingers are not in front of the needle (do not hold site down with your other hand above the needle spot)
4. Have your tubes, band-aid, etc READY before you put the tourniquet on
5. Practice makes perfect
Thank you sarah for the tips! So far none of the people I have stuck have complained about me sticking them and said "They didnt even feel it!" So I am hoping it stays that way!! :) Thank you for the tips!!
Post a Comment